Upon successful completion of the Foundation Year in TA you can apply for a three-year rolling programme in Advanced Clinical Training in TA Psychotherapy.
We offer interim exit points and qualifications to suit the needs of individual trainees. See more details of Red Kite Awards and Training Structure here.
We incorporate an ecological philosophy and build an ecological awareness throughout all training. We strongly encourage the development of self-reflection, co-creativity and critical thinking in the learning process. (See our learning philosophy)
The training takes place over 10 weekends each year. Each weekend is made up of a theory and skills practice. Students learn about the theory and look at its application to themselves, others, the natural environment and the context of the wider world. (See Aims of each Year and Course Modules)
Learning takes place through a mixture:
- didactic teaching;
- experiential exercises (some of this will be outside);
- interactive discussion and creative exercises in pairs/triads or in the bigger group;
- Therapeutic skills practice (some of this will be observed);
- Written assignments;
- Oral presentations;
We cater our delivery for different learning styles including video, role play, case studies, interactive discussion and activities. We take time each weekend to reflect on your experiences in the group.
All Advanced Clinical Years 1-3 will cover topics in these Course Modules:
- Ego states & Transactions;
- Contracting & Ethical Practice;
- Games, Rackets & Enactments;
- Script & Motivation;
- The Somatic Self & Mindfulness;
- Neuroscience & Human Development;
- The Therapeutic Relationship;
- Philosophy & Approaches to TA and other modalities;
- Therapeutic Skills;
- Writing & Research;
- Specific Client issues & Context.
Advanced Clinical Year 1
The learning aims for AC1 are:
- To deepen your understanding and exploration of the theory and practice of TA Psychotherapy;
- Develop your skills in contracting, assessment and treatment planning;
- Ability to compare and critique TA theory and practice;
- Your application of TA in skills practice;
- Understanding of the therapeutic relationship;
- Awareness of ethical practice;
- Use of Supervision;
- Difference and diversity;
- Wider dynamics affecting clients;
- Apply TA to various mental health difficulties;
- Develop the clinical competencies to begin a supervised voluntary placement.
Advanced Clinical Year 2
The learning aims for AC2 are:
- To secure a broader and deeper knowledge of TA Psychotherapy theory and applications;
- Locate TA in the context of other psychotherapy and counselling theories;
- Increase your understanding from a variety of different theoretical perspectives and ways of working;
- Expand your creative and flexible use of the therapeutic relationship and therapeutic skills;
- Difference and Diversity;
- Effective use of supervision;
- Professional and Ethical practice;
- Continuing your supervised voluntary placement this year;
- Write a Case Study of a client.
We offer interim exit points and qualifications to suit the needs of individual trainees. These are described briefly below but see more details of Red Kite Awards and Training Structure here.
Award: Red Kite Postgraduate Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling (TA)
For those wishing to become a BACP registered counsellor. Once completed, the Red Kite PG Diploma may be used to meet the training requirement for individual accreditation with the BACP or the UKCP registration as a Psychotherapeutic Counsellor.
Award: UKATA Diploma in Transactional Analysis*
For those who wish to be a UKCP registered psychotherapist through becoming a Certified Transactional Analyst. This Diploma also enables individual BACP Registration.
Award: Red Kite Practitioner Certificate in Transactional Analysis
For qualified practitioners who wish to deepen their understanding of TA.
Advanced Clinical Year 3
The learning aims of AC3 are:
- To develop an ability to draw upon a wide range of TA and other models and reflect on their similarities and differences;
- To understand and work with transferencial phenomena;
- To demonstrate a competence in contracting, assessing and treatment planning across a range of mental health difficulties;
- Diversity and Difference;
- Ethical and Professional Practice;
- Effective use of supervision;
- Develop your style of practice;
- Write a Research Proposal.
The award for this year and the CTA is described briefly below but see more details of Red Kite Awards and Training Structure here.
Award: Red Kite Advanced Postgraduate Diploma in Psychotherapy
Advanced Clinical Year 3 is for trainees who wish to further their training in TA psychotherapy and may be still be completing requirements for the UKATA Diploma. Successful completion of the year enables award of our Advanced Postgraduate Diploma in TA Psychotherapy.
Certified Transactional Analyst (Psychotherapy)*
Following on from this you may be working towards preparing for the EATA exam to become a Certified Transactional Analyst and gain registration with UKCP and UKATA as a psychotherapist You may join an Examination Preparation Group which leads you to taking your CTA.
* Note there is a fee for application to these awards
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the dates for the next Advanced Years Training Group?
- Sept 25th/26th
- Oct 16th/17th
- Nov 13th/14th
- Dec 11th/12th
- Jan 15th/16th
- Feb 12th/13th
- March 12/13th
- April 2nd/3rd
- May 14th/15th
- June 11th/12th
Who will my Trainer(s) be?
Carol Wain (Principal Trainer);
Hayley Marshall (Core Trainer);
Visiting Trainers to be decided.
How much do the Advanced Years cost?
£2,150 for the whole year from Sept-June. The deposit is £450.00 paid to book your place (this in non-refundable). You can either pay in full or set up a standing order of £170.00 over 10 months.
How do I apply for a place?
1. Fill in enquiry form to introduce yourself to us; before applying the Training Director is happy to have a brief informal chat with you.
2. Complete and return the Red Kite Application Form found here.
3. Send a CV which should include:
- training and qualifications;
- details of relevant work and life experience;
- the 2 referees who you contact for references, one professional and the other personal.
4. Write a brief personal statement giving an outline of their objectives in undertaking training.
5. We will process your application to make an initial assessment of your suitability for the training we offer at Red Kite.
6. Conditional on this assessment, we will offer you a formal interview with the Training Director. This interview forms the basis of Red Kite assessment of an applicant’s suitability for training and also provides an opportunity for the applicant to find out more about the requirements of psychotherapy training and the Red Kite training programme in particular.
How do I pay for my place?
Booking system – £450.00 deposit to book place (non-refundable). Standing order £170.00 paid over 10 months. We will send you the Red Kite bank details upon offering you a place on the course.
What is the location?
Liverpool Hope University Hope Park L16 9JD (see directions here) The course will be on ZOOM if Covid restrictions do not allow.
Is there car parking?
Car parking is available on-site at £2 per day.
Where is the nearest train station or bus route?
The nearest train station is Wavertree Technology Park; nearest bus stop is outside Hope University or on Woolton Road.
What are the timings of the training days?
10am to 5pm. Please arrive at 9:45 on Saturday for registration.
Do I need to bring my own refreshments/lunch?
Tea, coffee and biscuits will be provided at the beginning of the day and at mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks.
You can bring lunch or there are shops/cafés nearby. Directions will be given on the day. There is an on-site cafeteria open on Saturday only.
Is there any pre-course reading or handouts?
Comprehensive handouts, PowerPoints, teaching notes, reading list will be given to you as part of the training. Please bring pen and notebook for your own notes.
If you are interested in booking onto a course, the first step is to fill in the form below, we will then call you to discuss everything.