The Foundation Year of TA aims to:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of TA concepts building upon the TA101 through application to yourself, others, the environment and the context of the wider world;
- Relate this understanding of TA to the field of speciality in Transactional Analysis which interests you – Psychotherapy, Counselling, Education and Organisational.
- Apply these basic TA concepts into skills practice;
- Use TA to understand your own script and personal process and begin to develop critical thinking skills;
- We incorporate an ecological philosophy and build an ecological awareness throughout all training. Why not read more about Eco-TA here.
The Foundation takes place over 10 weekends each year. Each weekend is made up of a theory and skills practice. You will learn about the theory and look at its application to yourself, others, the natural environment and in the context of the wider world (see Course Modules for more detail)
Learning takes place through:
- Didactic teaching;
- Experiential and creative exercises (some of these will be outside);
- Interactive discussion in pairs/triads and in the bigger group;
- Skills practice;
- A written assignment;
- An Oral Presentation;
We cater in our delivery for different learning styles including video, role play, case studies, interactive discussion and activities. We take time each weekend to reflect on your experiences in the group.
Award: Red Kite Foundation Certificate in Transactional Analysis (counts as 120 hours of recognised TA training)
Upon successful completion of the Foundation Year in TA you can then apply for a three-year rolling programme in Advanced Clinical Training in TA Psychotherapy with Red Kite. A practitioner explains why she chose to become a TA therapist here.
The Foundation Year of TA is the pre-requisite for further Advanced TA training in all other fields.
We offer interim exit points and qualifications to suit the needs of individual trainees. See more details of Red Kite Qualifications and Training Structure here.
What does the course cover?
The Foundation Year in TA will cover basic TA concepts in these Course Modules:
- Ego states & Transactions;
- Contracting & Ethical Practice;
- Games, Rackets & Enactments;
- Script & Motivation;
- The Somatic Self & Mindfulness;
- Neuroscience & Human Development;
- The Therapeutic Relationship;
- Philosophy & Approaches to TA and other modalities;
- Therapeutic Skills;
- Writing & Research;
- Specific Client issues & Context.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the dates for the next Foundation Year?
- Oct 1st and 2nd – South Liverpool
- Nov 5th + 6th – South Liverpool
- Dec 3rd + 4th – South Liverpool
- Jan 14th + 15th – South Liverpool
- Feb 4th + 5th – South Liverpool
- March 4th + 5th – South Liverpool
- April 1st + 2nd – South Liverpool
- May 13th + 14th – South Liverpool
- June 24th + 25th – South Liverpool
- July 15th + 16th – South Liverpool
Who will my Trainer(s) be?
Carol Wain (Principal Trainer);
Hayley Marshall (Core Trainer);
Visiting Trainers to be decided.
How much does the Foundation Year cost?
£2,150 for the whole year from Sept-July. The deposit is £450.00 paid to book your place (this in non-refundable). You can either pay in full or set up a standing order of £170.00 over 10 months.
How do I apply for a place?
1. Fill in enquiry form to introduce yourself to us; before applying the Training Director is happy to have a brief informal chat with you.
2. Complete and return the Red Kite Application Form found here.
3. Send a CV which should include:
- training and qualifications;
- details of relevant work and life experience;
- the 2 referees who you contact for references, one professional and the other personal.
4. Write a brief personal statement giving an outline of their objectives in undertaking training.
5. We will process your application and to assess your suitability and also our suitability to you.
We will offer you a formal interview with the Training Director. This interview forms the basis of Red Kite assessment of an applicant’s suitability for training and also provides an opportunity for the applicant to find out more about the requirements of psychotherapy training and the Red Kite training programme in particular.
How do I pay for my place?
We will send you the Red Kite bank details upon offering you a place on the course.
What is the location?
Greenbank Sports Academy, Greenbank Lane, Liverpool, L17 1AG (see directions here) The course will be on ZOOM if Covid restrictions do not allow.
Is there car parking?
There is free car parking at Greenbank college or Greenbank Sports Academy or round Sefton Park
Where is the nearest train station or bus route?
The nearest train stations are St Michael’s or Mossley Hill
What are the timings of the training days?
10am to 5pm. Please arrive at 9:45 on Saturday for registration.
Do I need to bring my own refreshments/lunch?
Tea, coffee and biscuits will be provided at the beginning of the day and at mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks.
You can bring lunch or there are shops/cafés nearby. Directions will be given on the day. There is an on-site cafeteria open on Saturday only.
Is there any pre-course reading or handouts?
Comprehensive handouts, PowerPoints, teaching notes, reading list will be given to you as part of the training. Please bring pen and notebook for your own notes.
If you are interested in booking onto a course, the first step is to fill in the form below, we will then call you to discuss everything.